Friday, October 17, 2014

Teaching Gratitude when you have Plenty

We had a neighbor friend over today.  A sweet seven year old pal of little c's.  Playing on the tramp is one of their favorite activities and our trampoline is very used!  It is in need of being replaced seeing as the net is ripped and the pads are torn.  We looked into to replacing those components however it was only slightly more expensive to buy a whole new trampoline.  It's not a fancy one; think from Walmart.  I might remind you all that it's the trampoline I so very badly wanted and which my dear husband  said would never get used!  Sometimes I am actually right!  I told our friend that we planned to replace the trampoline next year.  She said "you have enough money to buy a new one just like that?".  Embarrassed I told her it wasn't a particularly expensive trampoline so we could afford to replace it.  My heart hurt telling her those words.  She said she would be so happy to just have our trampoline with the ripped net and missing pads and wondered what we would do with it when we got the new one.  Oh my heart, here's this sweet girl who would be excited to have our not good enoughs.

When you have enough, how do you teach your children to have that same sort of appreciation for things?  I want my girls to be like Izzy.  I want my girls to be thankful for what they have and to be grateful for small pleasures.  I want them to be ok with disappointment when they can't afford things, which at some point in life they will likely experience.  The thing is we can afford to do most of what they like. Even so I think I need to say "no", even when I don't have to, because I want them to grow into girls who don't have everything they want. It's important to realize you can be be pretty darn happy with not a whole lot!

Yesterday at Target, Big C decided to spend some of her money.  She rarely spends money but she shrieked with excitement when I said she could use her money to buy this particular item.  I reminded her that if you are that thrilled about something you are probably spending your fun money wisely.  When you chose to spend your discretionary money on something it should fill you with joy.  If it doesn't, you may want to rethink buying the item or having the experience.

So here's to saying "no" even when your circumstances may not require it.

No comments:

Post a Comment