Wednesday, October 2, 2013

How can you handle spending so much time with your kids?

Lots of people ask this question about homeschooling.  How can you spend so much time with your kids? Like all day, every day, especially with a husband who travels as much as yours?

Here's the secret, I actually enjoy being with my kids.  Here's another secret, I didn't much enjoy them when they were in school.  I felt like they returned home with bad habits, arguments among siblings, drama from friendship issues, and then the homework.  My limited time with them in the evenings was not enjoyable because we were arguing, pestering about school work, and running around to activities.





Our life is much more peaceful now than when the kids were in school.  My kids are good at playing alone, because I trained them to be so, and so I can do things quietly by myself in the house.  I also am fortunate to have a husband who works out of the house so if planned far enough in advance, I can go to the doctor on my own or make lunch plans with a friend.  Although I did bring Claire with me to my mammogram appointment.  My kids know that I matter too and they recognize how much waiting around I do for them. They are happy to bring along a book or an iPad and do their thing while I do my thing.

We are easily able to get our 'school' work done in a matter of an hour, maybe two and the rest of the day we can do as we choose.   If my patience has been tested, which is rarely the case now that we are homeschooling, I will send the kids outside for a while or have them do some quiet time in their rooms.  They really don't fry me but they sure did when they were in school.








There are also great programs for home-schooled children which allow you to drop off your kids.  We participate in a class at the YMCA which allows me two hours on my own once a week.  The girls also take a half-day of co-op classes which means I have a half day to myself once a week too.  And they are getting older and the days of them being capable of staying home on their own are approaching.  Gale Woods Farm in Minnetrista offers drop off classes too.

It's really a happy thing for a family!



No comments:

Post a Comment