Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Daily

Every night I make a list on the whiteboard of the girls responsibilities for the day.




I HATE hounding people to do things and it makes my day less productive if I have to keep checking in to make sure what I have asked has been completed.  I can ask them to do their lists while I am accomplishing my work for the day.  I tell the girls it means there will be more time for fun if we are working at the same time as one another.  During the school year they have planners wih their daily work plus chores and reminders of activities and plans for the day.  

They claim they have too much work but it is maybe 45 minutes of work per day. And work includes making a birthday card for the awesome pool party you will be attending on Saturday.  That's not WORK!!  I say 45 minutes but that's if they are focused and don't become distracted...which is their issue and choice...not mine :).

Both B-real and I believe you shouldn't do work your children are capable of doing for themselves. I don't want our girls to be like me in college.  I didn't know how to do laundry and put so much in the washer it wouldn't agitate and actually clean my clothing.  It baffled me until my roommate explained it was packed too full.  My mom had always just taken care of my laundry when I lived at home.  

I think as parents we can make the mistake of doing things for our children believing it signifies love. The real love comes in teaching them how to take care of themselves and become responsible citizens of the world.  Our job is to set them free to fly on their own one day. And we want them to be ready to take that leap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment