Friday, January 3, 2014

Unexpected Guests and a Dinner that Made me Proud

Sometimes things just work out in my favor, like last night when friends called to see if they could stop by, and it happened to be around dinner time.  Miracously, I was making something for dinner which required real cooking and something I would be proud to serve guests. 





It was one of those nights that I will remember because I just pulled it off completely (and it wasn't frozen pizza) and it was beautiful.  We didn't have much soup because there were 8 of us eating a recipe that was made for 4.   I warmed up some bread and pulled out our leftover beverages from New Year's Eve and it was was perfect.

The adults sat in the living room on the floor while the kids ate at the table.  I love when people stop over and I am able to provide them with a lovingly made meal and we are able to literally break bread together.  I love that we have friends who don't care if we eat on the floor in the living room.  I want to do that more often.

Tonight Big C has a friend over and I made them pancakes in the shapes of the letters of their first names.  It was fun to see their excitement over such a simple thing.   I liked sitting down with her friend and getting to know her a little better.  And I REALLY liked that Big C has the sort of friend who cleared her plate and came over to help me clear the other dishes.  And she's 10!   I asked my girls if they were witnessing their friend's kindness and suggested that they might remember such an act if they were ever guests of a friend.  Hint, hint...

Here's the recipe for the soup!
  
3 bacon strips, diced
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup half-and-half cream
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Shredded Cheddar cheese
Minced fresh parsley



Enjoy!!  




No comments:

Post a Comment