Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Flowers

For those of you who read our Christmas letter...

As Britney Spears would say, "Ooops, he did it again!"  In the middle of December I received a call from a florist letting me know they had a delivery for me but did not want to leave it outside the house due to the cold weather.  I began, as I usually do when flowers arrive unexpectedly for me, wondering what day I have forgotten in the love story of B-real and myself.   Knowing it was the middle of December, trying to recall the actual date, I figured it might have been the anniversary or our engagement.   I was right, it was December 16th, and 14 years ago that day we were engaged!



I remember it like it was yesterday.  It was cold and B-real cajoled me into a walk across the Washington Avenue Bridge.  Fortunately due to the UN-balmy temps there were very few people on the bridge that evening which made for a more comfortable place for him to profess his love for me and for me to profess my love in return.  Although cold, it was a beautiful evening, clear and peaceful.  I recall turning to look behind me and seeing the location of where we had met -- the U of M campus.  When I turned back around I saw the glow of the downtown skyline and it felt like we were looking towards our future -both having careers downtown and wanting to leave on the west side of Minneapolis.

B-real has learned over the years that a bouquet speaks to my heart more than a vase filled with long stemmed red roses.  I appreciate the art of the arrangement and how a variety of flowers can mix together to form something even more amazing than the individual.  History may have shown that his wife is also known to chop off those long stemmed red roses so the vase can be placed on the kitchen table and those at the table can actually see one another.  B-real has told me you pay extra for those lengthy stems and not to cut them off!  The arrangement he sent was breathtaking to me.

I feel fortunate B-real asked me to marry him fourteen years ago.  And even more fortunate, our love story only seems to get better!



No comments:

Post a Comment