Monday, July 29, 2013

Italian Coastline

The Italian coastline was our first stop in Italy.  We had read about a town called Portofino and I had also met someone at the pool who recommended we see it.  And it did not disappoint.  On our way we stopped in a town called Santa Margherita Ligure.  It was my favorite place on our trip! 

I loved the color of the sea, the pink hydrangeas, artisans painting, the colors of the buildings, the moderate temperatures, the food!  

We got hungry in Santa Margherita Ligure and found a street-side Italian restaurant that looked good (after reviewing the menu).  We sat down and 'tried' to converse with the restaurant owner who spoke NO English.  I mean absolutely none.   I pointed to what I wanted on the menu and she shook her head and said "no", she pointed at her special of the day.   We pointed again at the menu item I wanted and Brent tried to explain (in probably way too many words) that we wanted this particular item for lunch.  Eventually we figured out if we wanted to eat in her restaurant I would be eating the item on her special board.  Afterwards we realized because we were eating at such an odd time of day that the specials might be all that were being served.  And you know, that ended up being o.k.  I am not a fine diner but her pesto lasagna was the best meal I've had in my life.



B-Real was the bomb with his driving, working that manual transmission on those narrow, curvy two lane roads with motorbikers flying around us!  But he safely got us to Portofino and life completely slowed down when we arrived.  Again, we walked, we shopped, we people watched, and we oohed and aahed at the yachts. 









I personally preferred the Italian riviera to the French riviera and would love to go back someday.  I am sure there are some other tranquil sea towns to visit! 



No comments:

Post a Comment