Thursday, July 18, 2013

Letters after Death


We went to a funeral a month ago for a man who died after falling from his roof.   I told our friend that he ought to go into the business of funeral planning because it was the most lovely done visitation I've witnessed. Beautiful flowers were arranged in three areas of the funeral home.  Each area represented something of importance to his father-in-law.  They brought in his old ladder, favorite wheel barrow, old fishing buckets.  Each was lovingly planted with flowers, photos and quotes.  It was a great conversation starter for those of us who gathered to celebrate this sweet man's life.

What I really wanted to mention though is the gift he left his wife, children and grandchildren.  About 10 years back, when he was diagnosed with cancer and thought he would die, he purchased a fill in the blank journal and secretly began writing in it.  Upon his death his children found the journal.  As they made difficult decisions as to whether to continue with life support they took cues from what he had written himself.  He also gave them the gift of laughter and the opportunity to smile alongside their grief.  Although my friend never mentioned it, I would bet he would say out of anything his dad left for him, the only thing that really mattered was the journal. 

What a tremendous gift to his children, but also his grandchildren, and great grandchildren who will have the chance to know him through his words.

This is one of my favorite options. 





http://www.amazon.com/Book-Myself--Yourself-Autobiography-Questions/dp/1401303099/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374167897&sr=1-3

I bought it for my dad years ago and 'hope' he is using it.  The completed journal is the best present he could ever give me! 

1 comment:

  1. I think this will be the gift for all four parents this year. What a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete