Monday, September 2, 2013

Book Review: Wonder

I am so glad we picked up the book Wonder from Target before our last vacation.  Boy was it a good book.  Even B-Real said "I'm really impressed with this book".




I began reading it out loud to Big C but then Little c asked if I would read it to her too.

It's a sensitively written book about a middle school aged boy named August who is born with a syndrome that causes facial disfigurement.  August decides to attend middle school after having been home-schooled for his earlier education and the story relates his experience being not only the new kid but the odd looking new kid.

I think it's a great discussion starter for kids to learn how to treat people who look different than them.  I could really feel for August's parents too.  I am not sure I could handle my child coming home crying to me about how awful they looked and knowing there was nothing we could do to help them.  This burden will be August's for life.

We see some kids who Augusts thinks are friends talk behind his back.  We also see some unlikely kids become his good friends.   The book is told from the perspective of August, his sister, and some other kids from school.

This is a great book for young and old alike!




No comments:

Post a Comment