Saturday, September 14, 2013

Sarah Saves: The Thrift Store

Thriftiness is in my gene pool!  My mom's dad was known for his trips to the Goodwill and Salvation Army.  Earlier in my life I could not have imagined setting foot in a thrift store and buying 'used' things.  Eww!  Here's what I appreciate about thrifting:  1.  the price  2. reusing  3.  the hunt  .

I do have a thing for clothes and fashion but I am also pretty frugal and don't want to spend all of our money on vanity.  Enter the thrift store.  Some super hot water and lots of detergent and I'm o.k. wearing someone's used J. Crew clothes. 

Fortunately I have a group of 'thrifty' girls that I can tag along with on their expeditions.  Doing this with friends make it even more fun. This past weekend we went out for the day in celebration of one of our 40th birthdays.  



This is a photo of us at our Downtown Abby marathon party.  


Here was our plan: 

1.  The Salvation Army in downtown Minneapolis
2.  A boutique called "I Like You" in Northeast
3.  Saver's in Minneapolis
4.  The Guild in St. Louis Park
5.  The Goodwill in St. Louis Park
6.  Antique stores in downtown Hopkins

My friend Missy grew up thrifting with her family; before it was cool.  And boy is she good.  I joke with her that I should just give her $100 and she can hunt for things for me.  On this occasion she found a brand new Lucy tank for $9.99.  It still had the tags.  Can I say 'jealous'?  

I found a white strapless J. Crew dress for $6.99 and a hot pink J. Crew sweater for $6.99.  Yeah!  Fun summer outfit for less than $15 and I have received so many compliments.

All three of us made purchases at "I Like You".  I bought a t-shirt for B-real that says "You're killing me smalls".  His three girls being the smalls and often we kill him with our antics.  Missy bought some cute coasters and a present for her niece.  Erica found a super cute hair tie for her daughter.

When I shop at the thrift store I try to have a list of items I'm looking to purchase.  But you have to be o.k. with buying up sizes for your kids and being inspired by what you might find.  I did buy a Mini Boden t-shirt for Big C that is size 11/12 so I just put it up in her closet for a while.   And remember the miracle of spray paint.  Something really ugly can be renewed with a good spray paint color. 

I know it's not for everyone but it's fun for me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment